Friday, May 31, 2013

Arrival

Bonjour,

It has been a long few days, but also very exciting. I left Wednesday evening form Chicago and arrived early Thursday morning in Paris. I was seated next to an older gentleman who lives in the south-west region of France and California, so I was able to have nice conversation with him about various different things. I didn't sleep much on the plane, so by the time I arrived in Paris I was little tired. Luckily I didn't have to go very far to take the TGV because there is stop at the airport. Since I had about 2 hours before my train arrived I waited in station. I had planned to update the blog then but from what I heard over the announcements, they were evacuating people all to the south boarding area, where I was, because of 'suspicious package'. so all in all in became very crowded and too difficult to do much while waiting for the train. From Paris to Aix-en-Provence it is about a 3 hour train ride, so I was able to catch up on my sleep a little bit then. I then found the bus/shuttle that runs to the center of Aix and took that there.

This is where the fun started. After getting of the bus with all of my luggage, I realized I had no idea where I was going. So I walked around aimlessly (got lost) for maybe an hour or so. Finally, from some assistance from some friendly people and my language ability I was able to retrieve a taxi and get a hold of someone else I knew from the trip, Hilal. (This is why I am glad I asked my program for the name(s) of others who are also traveling with this program). So I was able to meet up with him and he helped me retrieve a SIM card for my phone so I can use it here in Aix. After that I took another taxi and checked into my hotel where I am staying for my first few nights. I was able to settle in a little bit but soon after I crashed.

So all in all it was a good but exhausting first day in France. After my language ability saved my butt when arriving in Aix, I was able to have a good nights rest.

Until next time,
Nikki







Wine from the plane.

1 comment: